Saturday, October 26, 2013

"The Cure" themed BIG Birthday Cake

My friend Julie had mentioned this summer that she would be ordering a big cake for a birthday party near Halloween.  As the date approached Julie gave me small details about who the cake was for and the type of party this would be. 

My first and most important challenge was to somehow channel The Cure....yes, as in all your favorite songs from the 80's Cure.  Let me tell ya, there's not a lot Cure-themed cakes on the internet to draw inspiration from.  Somehow, I miraculously found this picture, while searching for "Goth Cakes".  That's when Julie and I decided that we had to have the big hair on top, to give props to lead singer Robert Smith. 




We loved the eye, too, so I made a gumpaste eye with a painted iris, pupil and lots of glimmering shadow and lashes!

 

The top layer was a 6" vanilla layer cake frosted in ivory tinted buttercream. 
 
 
The middle layer is a 9" red velvet layer cake with vanilla buttercream and covered in black fondant.  I made a ruffle border to wrap around the base.  It was kept smooth and simple.
 
 
 
The bottom layer is a 12" marble layer cake, with Maroon tinted buttercream. 
 
 


While delivering the cake before the party started, I got to glance at the set-up in progress.  It looked like an amazing party, and I'm so glad I was able to help make the day special. 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me. birthday cakes little rock ar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet. How do I get in touch? I'd like to share this on my Cure Fan Documentary page - in some form.
    www.curefandocumentary.com/b-sides
    https://www.facebook.com/curefandocumentary/

    email me at info@curefandocumentary.com if you have the time!!

    Best,

    Arusha Baker

    ReplyDelete